Saturday, August 06, 2005

Mission Kids also known as MKs.
When Cheryl and moved here we did not have any kids but we wanted to have a family. MKs are unique in many aspects. They are not 100% American in the way they view world but they are not 100% like the host culture that they are brought up in. They are a unique group that some like to call third culture kids.
When I was at Harding University pursuing a degree in Missions I went a panel discussion. All of the students on the panel had one thing in common ...they were each missionary kids.
Each of the students had straight "A"s. As I looked at the group I saw that these were the Spiritual leaders of the entire school. They each had clear goals of what they wanted to do in life. Out of the entire group there was only one who was socially challenged and he was a genius computer nerd. The others seemed so together and strong. I was impressed with these MKs.
I had feared that if I raised my kids in another culture that they might become complete social misfits. That fear was laid to rest when I met these guys. This was one of the most impressive groups of university students I had ever seen.
Now I have four MKs of my own. They are being homeschooled by Cheryl. With the pace of life that we have here I am able to spend quality time with them.
Kinley is seven. She is proud of the fact that she was born in Nairobi, Kenya but lives in Uganda and is American.
DSC_0152

Kinley, Alex, Isaac and Silas love to play together! They are all good friends.
DSC_0328

Silas loves his passies.
DSC_0001

Isaac has quite a personality.
dsc_0091
Cheryl and I thank the Lord for our wonderful kids. We are so blessed!
I just love my kiddos!

3 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

We love your kiddos, too! My heart hurts a little when I see photos like this; we miss seeing them grow up.

BTW, our concern with them becoming social misfits is not because they are MKs, but because of their dad. :-)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

We too love your kids, seeing as how that's our grand ones. It is neat to get the pictures so recently taken.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Jeff Cash said...

John,
Thank you for your comments. Mks and TCKs (Third Culture Kids) have such a unique and interesting perspective on the world. I am so glad that my children have the opportunity to have such an expanded world view. As we all struggle to become World Christians the TCKs can be a valuable benefit for us to see the world from a fresh and unbiased perspective. God bless all of our Third culture kids. May they find their true identity in Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home