Friday, October 28, 2005

Discipleship Retreat

DSC_0018

When Jesus sent His disciples out He told them to Go into all the world. (Another way to understand this is AS you go into all the world) make disciples of all nations, baptize them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He also told them to teach them everything that He had commanded.
Far too often new believers are not shown how to be a disciple of Christ.
They may be taught something about baptism and then handed a book on "Now that you are a Christian. "

Many converts are actually proselytes. The difference between a disciple and a proselyte is the fruit. They both may be able to give the right answers to the theological questions but that is not fruit.
In 1995 I began to look for those that I could disciple and deeply mentor. A group of five men were chosen. They followed me everywhere as we shared the love of Jesus with the people. Out of those five, three have stayed faithful and have real fruit to show.
I took these three Ronald, David and Dick to a place called Sebatoli in Kibali Forest. Each of them brought at least one other person that they want to teach, discple and mentor.
They each chose someone who was not baptised.
In addition Derrick and Switzer were also chosen.
DSC_0020

After dark we worship around a campfire. We sang, prayed, and shared from our hearts. We had a special time where I laid my hands on Ronald, David and Dick. They were part of the original Servants in Training discipleship group that began nine years ago.
I had chosen each of them and they followed. Together we shared the love of Christ with many people. Ronald, David and Dick have been with me for nine years.
I prayed a special prayer for each of them. They were no longer servants. They are my friends.
It was an emotional event that we will not soon forget. There was not a dry eye around that fire.
That night will be cherished in my heart.
We prayed for each other and sang until the bonfire burned out.

DSC_0011

The next morning Ronald, David and Dick sat together and figured out their plan. The three men who had not fully committed to Christ were brought into the group. They began by sharing what being in Christ has meant to them. They were honest and open.
I walked by and would listen to what they were sharing, it was amazing.
Because the Spirit of God is working through these men...


DSC_0012
Abegaba want to be baptized next week. Dick is discipling him.



DSC_0013
(This is Dick.)


DSC_0014

Francis (pictured on the right above) is being discipled by David
He has asked David to Baptize him next Sunday!

DSC_0015

Ovoyo ,on the right, is being discipled by Ronald. He wants to put on Christ as soon as he can!

DSC_0016
(This is Ronald )

DSC_0017
Derrick is one of our life care group leaders who is being mentored by Dick. He has real hunger for the Word of God.

DSC_0024

(This guy was watching us the whole time.
I took this picture after this monkey threw a stick at me and hit me in the back of the head!)

To see Ronald, David and Dick disciple and mentor others is wonderful.
If we teach others to teach others then the effort will multiply. May the whole world be shown that Jesus is Lord.

4 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

What a cool experience! I would love to listen in to those conversations - honest assessments of where they are in their walk with Jesus. You have some amazing guys to work with there!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Great photos and a group of great stories, Jeff, with many more to come from this group of servants, I think! Thanks for sharing this special time with us. We love you all!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Campbell Family said...

You need to know that you have been mentoring more people throughout the world than you are aware of. Jeff, you've made more of impact on my life through your faith. I've often wondered about what it means to live by faith. And the closest definition I can muster is to look at your live and the way that you live. You're example of pursing a genuine faith in God is the greates sermon I've ever heard. It's changed my life and it motivates me to acheive greater yet simplier things for God. We make faithful living so difficult at times and you make it look so easy. If your faith is the size of a mustard seed than it's still 100 times bigger than mine. Thank you for being mentoring me through your life. Rusty

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Jeff Cash said...

Wow Rusty!
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. You know your your wife's parents greatly enfluenced me. I see faith as a gift from God. He gives us the faith we need for the job He wants us to do. You have great faith. May your faith grow and grow and grow.
Rusty you were answer to prayer for me when you visited Uganda. I had been having back trouble and my back was out of place and had been bothering me for several months. You asked if I wanted you to pop it. You picked me up and popped my back and that was exactly what I needed. The Lord used you to take away the pain in my back. I was able to get back to work. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home