Sunday, October 30, 2005

What's the grossest thing you've eaten?

Ronald and I had a funny conversation about the grossest things we have eaten.
There was the accident bird droppings and the dares that guys can't refuse to do but what about "real food"?
What was given to you as real food that was the grossest?
I told him about catepillers in Belgium. Crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle. No that's not it.
Some of Ronald's favorite local food is fried grasshopper and termites.

Snails in France? No
Intestine stew in Spain? No.
You have to remember that boiled intestines and stomach lining is a treat to many here.
Clabbered milk is traditional gift given to guests. Sun dried fish is a favorite. Fish head soup is meal that we are given regularly when we go to Ntoroko.
Ronald and I have sucked the brains out of many fish and popped out their eye balls just for fun.

Ronald said, "the grossest food I have ever been given You've eaten, Jeff. You have a very strong stomach!
I think the Pressed head was one of the worst things I've tasted. I couldn't even eat it all. You ate the whole thing!
When that Congolese woman gave us cold, greasy, pig brains I thought I might vomit. I hid it in my pocket. You ate it, Jeff.

There was also the time that we were given the bones. The family had eaten all of the meat off them so they cut them up and prepared them for us again. (yummy!)

There was also that time when we were visiting a village church and they served us boiled green meat. The meat was rotten. We didn't want to offend them so we all ate it! That was probably the worst. "

As Ronald reminded me of the green meat I could taste it in my mouth.
You're right Ronald that was nasty!

DSC_0018

So what was the grossest real food that you have eaten?

7 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Campbell Family said...

Well, I just have to say that you've definately eaten the grossest things of anybody I've known. Although, I did have whale sushi a few weeks ago. (Don't tell any of our animal rights activist friends back home though.) I think I can top your grossest drink though. It's a long story that I dare not go into on your blog but let's just say that it was a clear yellow liquid that was made by another person, if you know what I mean. I'll tell you about it another time. I've posted another comment about your mentoring retreat that you may want to check out. God is doing an amazing work through you. Rusty

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

No one will top yours, I'm sure, but here is one of mine...In West Africa I was given chicken soup. This isn't your mama's chicken soup. It had all of the chicken in it. Whoever had the head won the prize! I, unfortunately, did not win the head (the spirits were not with me that day); I had a chicken foot, complete with little chicken claws, in my bowl. I tried not to identify any of the more slimy parts.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

I just googled "chicken feet" to get a more accurate word for that part. Lo and behold! I never knew that chicken foot soup was such a high demand recipe! I'll just skip over those titled, "chicken foot fetish".

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

No trouble with me thinking of the grossest thing I've ever eaten. It's pineapple. YUK :-(

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Aimee Jo said...

I don't know about the grossest food I've ever had... I usually stick to steak & potatoes or hamburgers and fries. Can they make that for me in the villages? :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

I've eaten grasshoppers - not bad with salt, kind of like popcorn with attached tooth picks. In China we had some bird nest soup once. All I could think about was what the bird had dropped in and around its nest. I remember the time when we went to a village with you for a meeting. To honor us they gave us "meat." It was literally like rubber. We chewed and chewed and chewwwwwwwed. For politeness I kept nibbling on the meat while chewing the rest - eventally the rubber ball in my mouth got too big to swallow, but I nibbled some more. Did I mention that it tasted worse than it chewed? I was gagging so looked at you and you shrugged, eventually taking the rubber wad out of your mouth, puting it back on your plate - so I did the same. Immediately the men took our plates. Ahhh relief! Short lived. They scraped our "left overs' onto the children's plates, who quickly ate our reguratated meat. That's when I felt gross.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Redlefty said...

I would have to say blue-cheese polenta, served by my brother-in-law when we visited him. I understand millions of people love it, and it was a big deal for him to make it, but not even decorum could make me finish my plate.

My father-in-law finished his, but later told me it was only due to his training in how to eat anything during his tour in Vietnam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home