Friday, December 30, 2005

Proud of Alex

DSC_0341
The other night when we were all at Rwebisengo I had a moment with my son that I would like to share.
We were all so tired after the long bumpy hot drive to Ntoroko and then Rwebisengo. I preached out of the first chapter of James but I only spoke for 45 minutes.
We set up tents and the Grauls went right to bed and so did Cheryl, Isaac and Silas.
Kinley and Alex wanted to stay up with us and sing swahili songs.
We lit a big bon-fire and enjoyed the evening. After a couple of hours of singing Kinley went to bed but Alex wanted to stay up with Dad.

I was asked to go to a nearby hut and take a hot bath. Ronald, Bright, Alex, Dick and I walked over to the huts. There were some women cleaning dishes by lamp light. We sat around and enjoyed each other.

They told me that my water was ready and they led Dick and I out back and set the basin on the grass. Here you go.
Dick moved the lamp away so we would not be putting on a show for those around. I could see the fire off in the distance at the church and I could hear them singing.
I could see quite a distance in all directions!

I only heard a couple of giggles when I got undressed and stood there on the back lawn. I still haven't figured out how to get my feet clean when I am standing in the mud. We bathed African style.

After getting dressed we walked to the other side of the huts to find Alex laughing and having a great time with everyone. I was a little concerned because he can be a little shy and I had left him with Ronald and the others in the dark.
I sat down and he said, "Thank you for bring me to the village would you take me to the village more with you?"
"Sure Son"
He told me that I have the greatest job in the world!
He was having so much fun. There was no TV, videos, remote control cars, computer games or any other toys. There was not even electricity. But Alex was having a great time. He just wanted to do what his Dad does.

I was proud of my son that night as we sat in the lamp light and talked.
As we started to walk back to the church building I gave Alex my headlamp. He said, "Thanks Dad. I'll let you know if I find any snakes!"
That's my boy.
It is exciting to think of what the Lord might do through this young man.

4 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

What a doll! The Lord will no doubt use him in amazing ways for His glory on this earth.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Isn't it amazing - even as God so graciously allows us the privilege of being a part of the spiritual journey of so many - it is our own children and their journey, even in the simplest moments, that are the most profound and meaningful to us?
I have to imagine it is only a small reflection of how our own Father feels about us too. No doubt His pride overflows in you and in Cheryl sharing His name in this generation, even as He prepares your son for the same.
Love you guys. Thanks for your continuing faithfulness (even during computer crashes!)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

Alex, I am proud of you too. God has great plans for you and will use you in a mighty way if you let him. You can be a Super Hero for God. It hasn't been long since Grammy and I wondered how God was going to use your Dad. We think he is being used in a great way, don't you? We are proud of him also, as well as your Mom and the rest of the family. Travel and go out to the villages with him, you will learn a lot about how to be God's Man.

We love you,
Granddad

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

ALEX! You rock man. You make me proud to be a dad. I pray that Jonah will grow to be the yound man you are right now. God bless you and keep having fun with SAI.
Take care, Buddy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home