Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Recognition Sunday

DSC_0011 (2)
We had a very special service to recognize what the Lord is doing through Ronald, David and Dick. They have been serving the church for nine years each. They were the core of my original discipleship group called servants in training. Recently we had a private ceremony at a retreat in the Forest. I laid my hands on them and prayed for each.
Now we wanted to recognize them with the church.
DSC_0025
In this church the type of leadership that we have is servant like team leadership.
This ceremony was what many would call an ordination. We are not trying to elevate the ministers into a Big Corner office situation but recognize what the Lord is doing through them.
I had trouble holding back the tears as I told stories of great faith about my friends. I have seen each of them physically risk their lives for the sake of the gospel. It was fun to share about what the Lord has done through each of them. David's wife said she cried through the entire service. His parents and some friends came to witness this occasion.
His father said, "I am leaving a different person than when I came. Thank you."
DSC_0030

We shared a responsive reading. It was a covenant between the men, the church and the Lord.
DSC_0027
Before the service I talked with the men about what we were planning to do and they asked if they could kneel as I lay my hands on them and pray. They wanted to kneel before the throne of God and before the congregation that they are serving.
These men have proven themselves.
Paul wrote to Timothy "Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands."
These three men have shown themselves to be reliable men able to teach.
We began with Kizito Ronald.
DSC_0031

Dick knelt on the ground as we prayed during the laying on of hands.
DSC_0035

David Kabiito knelt as well.
DSC_0037 (2)

After the prayer I wrapped a towel around my waist and washed their feet. We talked about the kind of leadership that Jesus wants in His kingdom.
DSC_0061

DSC_0052

Isaac said, "It's cool that Dad is washing their feet!"
I think he wanted to play in the water too.
DSC_0062

They were given a ceritficate of license for Ministry.
DSC_0068 (2)

DSC_0070

DSC_0074

To demonstrate the kind of leadship that we want to have.. I poured water for the three to wash their hands and they did it for me. Then they did what is counter cultural, they helped pour the water for each person in the church to wash. Usually that job is left to a young girl.
It was quite a statement!
DSC_0081

This is a cultural role reversal as David washes his mother's hands. She told him that she had never seen a foot washing or anything like this in all of her years of going to church. She is so proud of her son!
DSC_0084

We had a party and it was so great to watch the men who were being honored. Instead of sitting down and getting the first and biggest helpings of everything. They served everyone else first! I had cooked 13 lbs of beef. (Hickory smoke, Terriyaki, and fajita style meat strips) We had samosas, hot dogs and two cakes.
As Ronald David and Dick served the sodas... we ran out. They did not get any and they did not complain. Cheryl hurried to the store and bought another case. I was so impressed with how they served everyone first!
DSC_0095
The three men introduced the ones that they are discipling and mentoring. It was a proud moment for me. They went on to acknowledge all of the ministries that the members are doing.
They prayed for all of the ministries. The Lord is doing great work in the lives of these families. May He be praised!

DSC_0097

"You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And these things that you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach other." II Timothy 2:1-2 NIV

9 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Heather said...

What incredible, awesome fruit God is having offered to Him there! We praise Him for it!
It was especially touching to see them wash the hands of the children, and I couldn't help but think that this was what Jesus wanted His own disciples to grasp while He was here.
It is just incredibly encouraging to notice in even the smallest details how God's people in this place take to heart every smallest detail they can find in His word to be faithful to.
Thanks for all you & Cheryl do in your love for Him. It bears fruit far beyond your physical presence and interaction, as only He can. We praise Him for your lives!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Redlefty said...

Wonderful, wonderful!

You have been starting the stream envisioned in Ezekiel 47:1-12. Before long, God will turn it into a raging river with the power to tranform a whole landscape.

God bless your family as you continue to bring Him glory.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

What a thrill!! I recall in l996 when we were visiting in Ft. Portal, you talked with me about how to do the work there. We talked about choosing some good men and concentrating on making them solid Christians, rather than just going for the numbers. We talked about David and Ronald but I don't think Dick was a Christian yet. [It makes me sad that Dennis is not still with you, but realize that even Jesus lost one.] It was touching to read about the reaction of David's father, knowing his background in the previous governments of Uganda. Having been in their home we know they are good people.

What a Victory Celebration!

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger phyllis said...

What a wonderful service of dedication for these three men! I feel so proud of them -as if they were my sons. Being there and knowing David and Ronald, I can feel Dick is of the same heart. Jeff, you have done a wonderful mentoring model for the church there and for us as well. My heart overflows with love and many other emotions, just as David's parents were.

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Andrew Martin said...

I'm so glad to see the pictures and be reminded of everyone there in Fort Portal. Aimee and I are really excited about coming back. May God continue to bless you, Cheryl and the kids as you serve. Please send greetings from Aimee Jo and I to the Ronald, Dick, David and the rest of the church in Fort Portal.

God bless you and we love you.

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Jeff,
We join you and these other blog readers from America in giving thanks and praise for these faithful men you have recognized. What excellent examples for the growing church in western Uganda! May our God bless you all!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Campbell Family said...

Wow!!! It's amazing how powerful the message is when you actually see somone washing feet. Jeff, do you remember your 12th grade bible class with Frank Roberts? I've been working on a paper in one of my grad school classes, Spiritual Leadership. In it we list people, places, events that helped to shape and impact our lives and helped us become the leaders that God calls us to. One of the events that I've included is when Mr. Roberts, the old man that most of the students disrespected, got down on his feeble old knees and went around the classroom washing everybody's feet. Man, what a powerful message to a bunch of ungrateful, disrespectful, and rude teenagers. What a powerful gift he gave us with his example of humility. That's the best lesson and the only one I remember from my high school days. Thank you Mr. Roberts and thank you Jeff for reminding us of what it means to be a servant for Christ. May your example of leadership and feet washing impact lives like Mr. Roberts did ours. Rusty

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

This is so awesome. "Aint' no party like a Holy Ghost party cause a Holy Ghost party don't stop." I tell you what. First let me say congratualtions to you Jeff and Cheryl and family for all of the work you are doing and will do. Praise God. Second, tell Ronald, David, and Dick that I will pray to the Father to let me come back and give them a hug and tell them congratulations in person.
Praise Jesus for the things He is doing in Western Uganda.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

Wow, Jeff! You inspire me again. What a thrill to see how God has blessed your ministry of discipleship. I've not read your blog in a few weeks, so going back and reading your last several posts (and Cheryl's) has made me feel almost like we've had a good long visit together!

We love you. We are proud of you. We are thrilled at what God is doing with you. And we miss you all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home