Thursday, December 29, 2005

We loaded up the LandCruiser with our kids and the three Graul kids. Cheryl wanted to drive that car with Kaelea. Ike, Ronald, Bright,Derrick and Dick rode with me in the old pickup.
We headed towards the end of the Rwenzori mountains. We stopped at a market on the side of the road to buy 22lbs of beef. The man wacked off big pieces of the hanging meat.
The dirt road hugs the edge of the valley as we decend down two thousand feet into the grassy floor below.
The Semuliki game reserve had been scorched by a grass fire. It was hot and dusty as we headed to the fishing village of Ntoroko. The road was so terrible that we saw one lorry just driving through the bush. It was smoother then the road.
It is hard to describe how bad the road is. I have driven down river beds that were smoother than this. It would be easier to drive down 80 miles of stairs than to drive this road.
This was the first time for Cheryl and the kids to make the trip to Ntoroko or Rwebisengo.
After a couple of hours of bouncing we pulled up to the old metal covered hut where Samuel's mother lives.
Sam's sister got sick and was buried on Christmas day. They showed us where they burried her. She was a nice young lady.
We were quickly surrounded by crowds of children wanting to see the white kids. It was a bit overwhelming for them. We all went inside and greeted Sam's mom. Her sisters were seated on the on mattress on the floor next to her. She was very thankful that we came. She was happy to see Kabatooro (Kinley) and the other children.
Samuel led the Cashes, Grauls and a hundred other children down to the lake. It was cooler near the water. Silas loved seeing the boats and the Maribu stork. He got really excited when a hippo poked its head out of the water. "Hippo! See Daddy?"
We walked back and said our goodbyes and then ates a snack before getting back on the "road".
We bumped along for a couple of hours. The children enjoyed seeing Ugandan cob, water buck, baboons, wort hogs, turtle, squirrel, and frogs.
At one rest stop Ronald and I jumped out of the truck and chased three worthogs. It was funny.
We got to the church at Rwebisengo. They were happy to see us.
We did some teaching and singing before we set up our tents.%

5 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Oh yes! The road to Ntoroko & Rwbesengo! Ouch, my back still hurts from that loooong day! But what really stands out in my mind from that day is the warmth of the people; young, old, men, women, Christian and non-Christian! Everyone we met (well, except for the drunken village chief who wanted our goods and the army officer who made me stop filming the lake) were welcoming and gracious to us. Thanks again for showing me that corner of Uganda.
Grace and peace, Greg

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

I remember the bumps also... I really miss them. I miss the people. I miss the mission.

peace to you all.
johno~

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Glenn said...

I just read a book which among other things described a van trip to a refugee camp in East Africa. After miles of bouncing, jaring, head hitting travel the American with anger leaned up to the driver to tell him to drive more carefully. When he looked out of the front window he realized that the driver was being careful, hitting only the smaller potholes. It made me sad to read about the death of Samuel's sister. This good family has suffered so much, and without medical help, death comes all too often. Most of us in the Western world have no concept of the suffering of people all over the planet who don't have enough to eat, and when they are sick cannot get any medical aid, or what they get is totally inadequate or worse. Jeff, you have brought goodness into this and other families and their communities. I wish we could clone you and sent you all over the world. [Your Mom and I could then visit you and you and you and you encouraging and helping where we can.] But then, could the world take more than one of you? Hmmmmm?

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger phyllis said...

Our hearts are saddened to hear about Samuel's sister. I could just hear the children and see their excitement when your group came to their village. In spite of being so poor, they have such a great spirit.
I can still feel those bumps too.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

God you are My god and I will ever praise you. I just don't know what to say:
- yes I can see the road to Ntoroko (that was good when we were just there).
- WOW! I had no idea that Cheryl and the children had never been to those villages. God bless you Cheryl and children and I pray you had a great time.
- I can see the fishing village as you drive into town and I am goinf to guess that you guys went straight to Samuel's house.
- Samuel I love you brother and miss you. I am very sorry for the loss of your sister. You and your family are in our prayers.
- I can see the village of Rwebisengo and hear the anticipation of the people and the celebrating. I pray that one person was lead closer to God for your trip and that all were encouraged with your visit.
- I miss you Cash's and those Graul's and I can see those beautiful children causing joy just by showing their faces.

Take care and God bless you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home