Saturday, January 21, 2006

The stolen backpack

The morning that I was taking the Grauls to the airport from the American club I found the back door of the pickup unlocked. I didn't think much about it at the time. The next morning I surprised Cheryl with a gift of sending her to the Sheraton Hotel by herself. I was giving her a day of complete pampering and she was going to spend the night there and not be woken up by the kids. She deserved it and much more.
I went to the truck to get the bag of money that I had locked in there to keep it safe and it was gone!
I was also going to get some money to replace the side mirror that had been stolen off of the LandCruiser earlier in the week.
The bag was gone! I began the all out search.
We searched everywhere.
The place we were staying has US embassy security guards. They have a spot near the gate twenty feet from where the truck was parked. I locked the bag in there thinking it would be safer there than in the room where the cleaning people come and go.
I met with the security team and gave a report.
There was $1,250.00 US
1,400,000 Ugandan shillings (at least)

That is over $2000 that was stolen!
I also lost my passport, my registration from Uganda Christian University, my books and all my notes from my classes, my small Bible and a bunch of other things.
I met with the guys at the embassy. They actually opened it up after hours for me. That was nice.
We had to stay a couple of more days to process some of the paperwork.
The Police report took most of one day to get done.
I'm waiting for my new passport and then I have to get the Ugandan government to put another work permit in it.
This was not a good time as we had just spent something like $5000 on Camp Saaka getting ready for Faith Quest.
I'll also need to go to the University and see if they can give me a new registration card. That won't be fun.

Last year when I went to UCU I was told, "You have to pay double because you are white! You white people should be paying for every Ugandan to go to school!"
I was highly offended at racist conversation that followed.
I was going to leave the school but first I went and prayed with the director of DAI. They are the ones who actually have put this program together. They offered to help and give me a scholarship so I would pay the same as everyone else. The director is an American woman. She said,"I hate injustice!" She is a lawyer.

The scholarship money was in the bag.
Ouch.

My prayers go with whomever it was who took the bag. May the Lord touch them and bring them into a saving relationship with him. May they read the Bible and put the money to good use.
May the Lord be glorified in this situation.

2 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

God bless you Jeff. I heard about this and prayed for you and the family. One day we won't have to worry about keeping up with anything but the praise.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Thanks for catching us up on the recent events of your life. So very sorry about the frustration and loss. Love you much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home