Thursday, December 14, 2006

Torn Asunder

This week I read the book Torn Asunder by church of Christ minister Ben Brewster. If you are a member of a church of Christ, Christian Church or Disciple's of Christ you may find this book interesting. The restoration movement dreamed of uniting Christians from all denominations and sects. They wanted to be "just Christians", practicing primitive Christianity.
One of my favorite restoration sayings is..."we are Christians only not the only Christians."
It was not their intention to start another church but to restore the church that is seen in pages of the New Testament. They practiced unity.
At least for the first generation.

Several years ago I was asked by a friend who grew up in the Christian Church why I thought the church of Christ and Christian church split.
I gave him a quick answer about instrumental worship and mission societies. Those were just symptoms of a deeper problem.
He asked me what had taken place in American history prior to 1906?

Well 40 years earlier was the civil war.

He went on to explain to me how the idea of slavery and ambolition, patriotism to the confederacy or patriotism to the union, whether a Christian can or should fight in war or not all were major factors in that drove men apart.
It was as though a giant iceburg had cracked and by 1906 had floated apart.

The mission societies and instruments were vehicles used to justify the sectarianism. With the second and third generation of Church leaders came differences of opinion and interpretation. These were used to fan the flame and melt the unity.

The idea that came from Thomas Campbell's Declaration and Address where they were dissolving their former ties for unity sake were turned around and used to divide.
"Speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent" was adapted from this document. They were dissolving their presbytary into the church at large. This slogan was grabbed onto by some and used to identify a specific group.
(That was the very opposite of its original intention)

As we are raising this first generation of leaders here in Uganda it makes me wonder what will the future hold for these men and women?
How will the teachings I pass on be understood and lived out in the second and third generations?
How do I avoid passing on the sectarianism that I inherited?
These are real questions that I struggle with.
There is an entire movement that has begun here in Uganda. There are now hundreds of churches.
May they learn to love one another. May they learn from our mistakes.

"A new commandment I give you...Love one another" (Jesus)

4 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm thankful for your vision that reaches down generations. Instead of just giving the quick...or easy answer...you are searching...learning...growing...thinking. My prayers for the leaders here include prayers for Truth, Love, Unity and Service. And the ability to listen.
So many times, conflict enflames, because we simply aren't hearing each other.
There is such satisfying purpose in teaching these men and wome to Love and Forgive. And I'm challenged every day as we learn it more ourselves.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Jim Coffey said...

A good friend who was a Professor at Ozark Christian College in Joplin told me his version on the history of Campbellites - which rings true with Jeff's post.

The first split was based on the civil war. Pretty much all of the USA protestant churches split at that time - and they all had to invent a reason to split. Instrumental music was a non-issue with Campbell, but it became the "official reason" to split ... It was convenient that the rich northern churches had pianos and the poor southern churches usually didn't. The Church of Christ was the southern branch of the restoration movement.

A second split occured between the Disciples of Christ and the Independent Christian Churches. This split was primarily over local congregational autonomy. The Disciples wanted a national organization, more high churchy stuff, and were much more liberal on social issues.

In the hallway at Bay Area Christian Church are framed photos of Alexander Campbell, and Barton Stone.
-------------
Some thoughts for your readers
----------
CofC theology is great.
CofC methods and techniques are not working in the USA.
Pointing fingers doesn't help the lost.

I encourage everyone to do what Jeff and Cheryl are doing ... get involved in your local neighborhood culture. Become "best friends" with 1-2 unchurched people/families. Invite them into your home, and eventually your church. Look at your church through their eyes ... are your congregational methods and techniques relevant to an unchurched person?

Bill Hybells told the story of inviting a friend to church when he was 16 and realizing ... I (Bill) don't enjoy this, and I'm used to it. How can I expect my friend to enjoy, learn about Jesus, and come back?

The message of God is and should always be unchanging. However, the methods of 1950 don't appear to be working very well in 2006.

The folks at New Life in Odessa seem to have a pretty good handle on how to reach the unchurched in their culture.

What is your congregation doing?
----------
If you don't have an unchurched "best friend" get one ... you'll love doing business with Jesus.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

I just learned some of this important history through Bonnie at Vancouver C of C - you should talk to her next time your are here.

Another aspect of the C of C history and culture is that it was built as a rural church. We have cotinued to use a rural mindset (and I'm not even sure what all that implies) as we have attempted to reach the cities.

I think this is an exciting time in our church family's history. In our area at least, I don't hear the finger pointing and seperation talk as was more prevalent when I was a child. A lot of people are asking how we traveled to where we are and what really matters now for moving forward in the love of Christ.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Jeff Cash said...

Kristi,
Hey Sis,
I am so proud of the way you and the rest of your team is sharing Jesus in North Portland. You and Ike and the rest of the guys are a real inspiration. Pump is great!
When I used to deliver pizzas I checked into working in what is now your neighborhood because drivers made alot more money there. I decided not to work in North Portland because I was told that I would be robbed.
They definately need Jesus. Thank you for the ministry you and your family does there.
I'm proud of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home