Monday, June 25, 2007

Balance

Sometimes life can get so busy. Do you ever feel that way?
It is so easy to have more to do then your PDA will allow. This month I have been studying the spiritual discipline of meditation. The very discipline of slowing down and focusing has trouble fitting in my schedule.
In the book Celebration of Disciplines, Foster writes about "Otium Sanctum" holy leisure. This is the idea of gaining balance in your life and maintaining peace even though the world swirls by. It has to do with a slower pace that results in enjoying what is around us. resting. drinking in the beauty.. enjoying God
Henri Nowen wrote "I have to keep a careful eye on the difference between urgent things and important things. If I allow the urgent things to dominate my day, I will never do what is truly important and will always feel dissatisfied...the issue is not where you are, but how you live wherever you are. For you that means a constant choosing of what is important and a willingness to accept that the urgent things can wait or be left undone." (The Road to Daybreak)

1 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

Yes Sir, I hear you. This is hard and sometimes appears to interfere with what you think is really important. I suppose that is why it is the balance of "Spiritual Chillin'" and life that gets you through. Hang in there Jeff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home