Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kinley goes to the village with me

DSC_0661.JPG

I went to the Ihani village church in Kyenjojo and spoke for several hours. I love to teach Jesus and try to communicate His message in a cultrually relevant way. So many are steeped in animism and African traditional thought. They believe that Ruhanga (the Tooro name for the creator God) is primarily the god of abundance. He is so much more! It is so much fun to see people gain a deeper grasp of the love of God. Kinley spent the day in the village with me and helped as I taught. She answered questions that I would ask the church that no one else could answer. She helped teach them the names of the books of the Bible, the names of the judges, the layout of the tabernacle, the names of the apostles and many other things.
I asked people to share Bible verses that they know from memory. When the church had exhausted all of the verses they knew Kinley began to share God's word with them from her memory verses.
She started with the birth of Jesus that she had memorized word for word then we played a game with her and she quoted probably 30 more verses. The church encouraged her to share more and more.
The church clapped and cheered for her.
They asked her how she knows so much and she told them, "My mom and Dad teach us everyday, I learn some in School and I am trying to read my Bible every night before I go to bed. I want to read the whole Bible."
I talked with them some more and several men took Kinley's words as a real challenge to them. They committed to reading their Bibles.
I made a deal with them that if one of them would read his or her entire Bible before Kinley finishes hers, I would take that person out to lunch. If Kinley finishes before all of them they will take her out to lunch at a local restaurant. We'll see who gets to eat out.
Kinley is amazing! I am so proud of her.

8 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I love, LOVE this picture...
And I'm crazy about that girl...she is a gift...to us and to the world.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger phyllis said...

What a wonderful tribute to a great young lady---and her parents! Kinley, you are someone very special, and God is using you right where you are. We are so proud of you!
Much love,
Grammy

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

That is really awesome. That picture is beautiful and will be a treasure for years to come.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Jason Hill said...

What an amazing testament. Brings a new meaning to "Take Your Daughter to Work" day.

I'm proud of all of you.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Yes, I love that girl, too! She is awesome and amazing and is already a powerful witness for Christ. May God give her continued grace and peace and protection!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Aimee Jo said...

I'm so glad that you got to go with your dad to the village, Kinely, and share about what Jesus means to you.
It will be so much fun when we are there and we can do ministry with you!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

Kinley, you go girl. I am so proud of you. Jonah is singing "Jesus Loves Me", "My God is So Big", and "Barbara Manatee". OK. SO 2 for 3 isn't bad. I know how proud I am of him and I only imagine how proud your parents are of you. Even more I know how proud God is of you. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Sherilyn said...

My Kinley Beth! What a beautiful girl you are, on the inside as well as the outside! I love you so much. One of the highlights in my life is when I go to the post office and get a letter from you. You are my sunshine!
Love,
Nana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home