Monday, September 05, 2005

Hurricane Katrina:
Our hearts go out to all of the families and businesses that were hit hard by the hurricane. While traveling in a country band from Harding, years ago, we were able to spend some time in NewOrleans. We ate crawfish until we were ready to burst. We enjoyed the diverse culture and night life that they had to offer. As Christians we chose not to participate in some of the festivities. We enjoyed the music,though. I remember walking into one shop and sensing that I needed to pray. The shop turned out to be a voodoo witchcraft store. There were many of these stores in New Orleans.
It is strange to think that it is all under water. We need to continue to pray.
As we watched the news we felt for those who were suffering. The news we were watching was outraged that it took a couple of days to get everything under control.
In my mind I thought of all of the suffering here in Africa. The big relief organizations had a policy that once a family came and registered for help they were given nothing for six weeks. When they were given food it was corn meal and dried beans.
The problem in Sudan has gone on with no help for twenty years.

This week one of my friends came to Fort Portal after being in the Congo for the last two years. He shared the most horrible stories of rape, neglect, attacks and abuse. He and his family were nearly killed four different times. I am trying to figure out a tactful way to share the stories
What I heard was so graphic and disgusting that I am not even sure how to share it.
Please pray for the Congo and our brothers and sisters in Christ who are trying to survive in unimaginable conditions. We can also all pray for those in need who are suffering because of the hurricane.
May this be an opportunity for those of us of faith whether we are in Africa or the America, to show the love of Jesus. There are opportunities all around us to bless people. I pray that I don't leave it up to the government or an organization to do good. May the world experience Christ's love through His "body".

2 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Aagghhh...another blog spammer strikes! That really bugs me.

Anyhoo, I think I felt some of a similar reaction that I sense you are describing, Jeff, to the outcry that relief aid "took too long" for the hurricane. Of course, any time someone has to suffer, it is too long. But I cannot help but think of all of the people I met in Sri Lanka who have yet to receive aid after the tsunami last December.

We are the richest country ever! We are so spoiled; we cannot imagine that there are situations where our immediate comfort cannot be had.

Again, let me say that I hurt and cry for the people who have been hurt by Katrina. I cannot imagine their confusion and loss. Like you said, let's use this as a reminder of people all over the world who are suffering and need God's gracious hand of mercy.

And to the Sri Lankan government, thank you, but please keep the aid money you have pledged to send to the U.S. and use it to build a few homes in the neglected north of your own country.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Jeff Cash said...

Hey Kristi!
It has been frustrating to watch the International news. We get CNN International, BBC and Sky. I have turned off CNN several times because of the way they choose to make the story instead of report. I am not trying to assume why the reporting has been so slanted the way it has...it has just been terrible.
We have had some friends share some "good stories" with us.
I knew there was good things happening. One of aviation newsletters that I get shared all kinds of offers for help.
There were 200 corporate jets ready to be loaned for relief. There was tons of bottled water being offered if someone else was willing to ship it. There people offering their homes to pilots willing to help. There was a company willing to reduce the price of aviation fuel by $1.00 per gallon for any plane that is helping in this cause.
I know that Americans can be the most generous people in the world, so I know there are good stories out there.
I am tired of hearing Jessie Jackson trying to drag in racism. That has been highlighted on news here. Also the mayor of New Orleans with all of his mudslinging and blame was a favorite starting point for many news pieces.
I'm not in charge of CNN but I at least I know how to use my remote.
I can just turn the channel or turn it off.
Kristi, I enjoyed your comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home