Monday, March 20, 2006

Did you see me blink?

Today was a special day. Kinley turned eight.
Cheryl and I got up and took kinley to a local restaraunt for salty eggs and toast. It is a tradition that we take each of our kids out for a special breakfast on their birthday. It was just Kinley, Mom and Dad.
Cheryl and Kinley did the hand motions to Say Say oh playmate while we waited for our British tea. My little girl is growing up.
We talked about the day that Kinley was born. She asked questions about her great grandparents.
She wanted to know more about my Grandad Small.
I can still smell the smoke from his pipe, the garden and his wood working shop. I can see him fixing the water to an irigation ditch. I can see him smile as he took the blades off his two riding lawnmowers. He let us race all around on those things.
I remeber him laughing as we prettended to baptise each other in the flooded ditch. My memories are full of warmth and love.
Kinley said, "When we go to heaven I can see your grandad!"
Yes you will.

The day was filled with presents, friends cake and icecream.
I had some men building a carport to cover the Landcruiser.
When I told Cheryl what they were doing I mentioned how we should put some white latiss up the sides with climbing vines or flowering plants.

Kinley heard me discribe this and asked, "Daddy are you building a pergula?"
"Uh uh I don't know. Whats a Pergola?" (asked the clueless father)
"Its a wooden structure that you can grow vines on." she replied
"Really?" I asked.
I went to the dictionary because I had never herd pergola or pergula.
This is what I found.

pergola (Lat. pergula) An arbor or passageway with a roof of trelliswork on which climbing plants are grown.


It seems like just yesterday that I could hold her entire body with one hand. She couldn't say a word.
I think I must have blinked...
Now Kinley is teaching me what a "pergula" is.

She is a precious wonderful gift from God...and helpful with my vocabulary!

Happy Birthday Kinley! I am so proud of you!

We love you sweetheart!

5 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Procters in MOJO land said...

Happy Birthday Sweetest Kinley!!!!!! We love you bunches. See you soon!!! Aunt Reese

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Yeah for Miss Kinley!! Tell her we can't wait to have a birthay party for her here in just a few days! I can't believe how big she is. Every time we see a picture of her, Allan exclaims, "Look at Kinley - she's so gorgeous!" Hugs & kisses, sweet girl! Aunt Kristi

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Andrew Martin said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

Hey Happy Birthday Kinley! I pray that God bless you with a wonderful life in service to Him. Take care and I look forward to seeing here in the States.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Yes, you blinked, and so did we. When we talked to her today, she sounded sooooo grown up. I remember waiting anxiously to hear about her. I remember that 3 1/2 month old coming down the ramp at Midland when we first laid eyes on her. 8 years old. Happy birthday Kinley, to our firstborn grand child and THE GRANDDAUGHTER! You are truly special and loved. Papa and Nana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home