Monday, March 06, 2006

Life without power

DSC_0040

(Cheryl reading by lamp light /the computer needs power.)
It took six months of constant asking to get the camping propane bottle and light in Fort Portal.
It is nice to have bacause reading by candle light for very long makes my eyes tired.
The power has been off every day for at least twelve hours. There is no regular schedule so you never know when the power will be on. Somedays it is off all day and comes on at 1:00AM. It can go off and on ten times in an hour.
The other night we were all asleep. I wasn't sleeping well because the fan that we use to keep the mosquitoes off of us, of course didn't work. The buzzing in my ears drives me crazy.
All of a sudden all of the lights in the house came on at one time. We had gone to bed and forgot to turn off the lights (in the dark). Cheryl didn't move. I got up and checked on the kids they didn't notice either. I turned all of the lights off. I was trying to decide if I should go ahead and work on the computer or do some ironing. I worked a little on the computer and then did some reading forget ironing! I worked for about two hours before the power went off again.

When the electicity goes off our internet connection and home based cell phone soon go off. The water goes off as well because the city water pumps are not on. Our laptop battery is shot so that doesn't work very long either.
The hot water heaters are small and electric so that means one bath takes all the warm water for our bathroom.
There is no ironing or washing clothes, TV or computer, grinding coffee or using the microwave.
We have to make sure that we don't open the deepfreeze very much.

I asked Cheryl what bothers her when the electricity goes off. She said, "The baths are cold, it gets really really dark and you can't see anything in our own home, there is no schedule so you can't plan in advance for it."

What bugs me is when I am watching a movie and it gets to that critical climax and...click no power. Or when I am printing a paper and...click.
When it comes back on the printer indicates that the cartridge is dry.
I'll just jump on jet and get one at Walmart! AHHHHHHH

Try a mission experience and go flip all of your power off for twenty four hours and do not leave. It still wouldn't quite be the same because you would have power over it. It would come on when you decide to turn it back on.

The verse "Do all things without grumbling or complaining." is a hard one some days.
Count it all joy...

2 Comments:

At 4:28 AM, Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

Hi Jeff, my parents are missio's in PNG and a few of the people on their base use a car battery to power some things when the power goes off.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

You are still my heroes, Jeff and Cheryl! I can't even imagine, and I'm way too selfish to even try the experiment. We had our power go out for 3 days last August (electric company mistake), and we were so frustrated! Of course we just left and found someplace with air conditioning and ate out every meal. (Then expected the electric company to reimburse all those expenses--which they did.)

We are so spoiled. I love that you remind me to be grateful and joyful in my very comfortable life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home