Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sting rays

It was sad to hear about the sting ray attack on the famous Croccidle Hunter, Steve Irwin. It brought back memories of when I was stung in the foot by a sting ray while swimming in the Indian Ocean. I thought at first that I had been bit by a shark. The pain was so intense. I rolled onto my back and tried to float so I wouldn't drown, I pulled a white barb out of the bottom of my foot. It was like an Indian arrow head.
The burning in my foot turned to numbness as my foot, calf and then entire leg was paralized. I couldn't move my leg at all. I was swimming in about ten feet of water. I was much closer to the coral reef than I was to the beach so I decided to swim there. If more of my body went numb I at least wanted to be resting on a rock so I wouldn't drown.
I swam on my back until I reached the reef. I drug my self onto the sharp coral and rested on a patch of sand.
I waved to a fishing boat but the men didn't see me and they couldn't hear me. I'm not sure how long I was stuck out there but finally I knew I had to swim back. (My other foot was sore from stepping on a sea urchin the day before.)
It was a long painful swim but I made it back to the beach, I crawled onto the sand and then limped and hopped back to the hotel dragging my leg.

My condolences go to Terri the wife of Steve Irwin. (She was from Eugene, Oregon before moving to Australia)
Thank you Steve for making me laugh.

1 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Johnathan M. Thomas said...

It hurts my heart still... My family has been praying for the Irwin family since the accident. I found out at Faith Quest around 2:00 AM Monday morning. I had a hard time sleeping. I enjoyed so much of his work. I enjoyed playing Croc hunter at Faith Quest.

I guess, my biggest hurt is that I am unsure of his faith in Christ.

How could I have enjoyed so much from this man and not have thought to share my joy with him.

It still bothers me.

May God have mercy... on me.

peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home