Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A typical day

I got out of bed and started the bath. There is not enough pressure for a real shower. Maybe I got spoiled in the states with hot showers whenever I wanted. The hot water dribbles into the tub so I've got time to go and do something else. The power has been off ever day so there isn't much hot water any way.
There is someone banging at the gate. I threw on some jeans, t-shirt and sandals and rushed out to stop the knocking. It is a guy who works on diesel generators and he had come to see if I wanted him to service our big one.
I had to stand out there with him because there have been too many other mechanics steal parts from my car, tractor, truck and generator.
He thanked me for a bible I gave him over a year ago. He said his wife took it from him and she reads it all the time.
That's nice.
Jotham who works in our yard came so I could go inside and enjoy my cold bath. Cheryl had a plate of biscuits and gravy ready for me. (When she handed me the plate I thought Big Steve would love this!) Cheryl sure can cook.
On that note I decided to ride my bike. Each Tuesday we have our discipleship and leadership meeting. I rode the bike down to the gardens restaurant. One of my friends, Ali Baba discovered he has diabetes. Yesterday Ronald and I took him a glucose meter and showed him how to use it. Last night I read about diabetes so I was motivated to ride my bike.
I was supposed to meet one of the guys before the meeting. He had written a letter to apologize and ask for my forgiveness.
This is a growth moment for this young man. Wow. It is amazing to watch the Spirit of God work in the lives of people.
We had a nice talk.
We sat outside under a green tent cover and forgave and encouraged one another.
Dick arrived and shared about the national meeting. The rest of the men arrived and we had a great meeting that lasted for about three hours. It is so encouraging to see the maturity and growth of these men. I am proud of them. It was really a great meeting.
After the meeting I rode my bike over to the new land that we are still in the process of buying.
I thought it would be good to spend some good time in prayer.
As I was kneeling in the grass at the bottom of the hill talking to the Lord I saw a face in the banana plantation. I was being watched. I was praying about the land and the village around it. I asked the Lord to help us reach the children and youth as well as the adults.
I turned around so I would not be distracted and saw three other children on the other side. I asked the Lord to touch those very children. They started gigling and ran across the grass. They stopped and stared at me. I smiled and waved to them.
The three children met me in the middle of the grass.
We shared our names and they asked if I was praying. I told them that I was praying for them and the other children in Kagote. They smiled so big.
I learned that they live in the house right next to the property that we are buying. I asked about their father and they told me that he is dead. I asked about their mother...she too is dead.
Their cousin asked if the church wants to help orphans. She told me that the other children are living in that house with their grandmother.
A young women walked by and we greeted each other. She lives behind the church property. I shared with her our dream for an amphitheater and the tent that we are going to bring. I shared how we want to be a community church that involves everyone around. She was very excited with what we are planning to do. She knew me but I did not know her very well. I invited her to church. She said she will be there Sunday.

I asked the children many questions about what they would like to do at church. They gave me some nice feedback.
I sent greetings to their grandmother and shared that I would like to come and visit with their grandmother sometime.
It was amazing how fast the Lord answered my prayer!

I rode my bike home and then tried to start the generator so Cheryl could mash the potatoes. The generator died and wouldn't start. I pump it, primed it still nothing. I am so glad I had the man serivice it today. (It probably has air in the line)

Well what should I do?
I found a jerry can... so kinley and I drove to town in the old pick up to get gas.
When we got back I drug another generator out of the container and across the gravel and up to the side of the house. I made sure the other one is off, the isolater switch is off, I strung an extention cord into the kitchen to plug it in above the stove where the wires are stronger. We filled the tank with gas and after a few pulls the old generator started.
I wasn't fast enough for Cheryl and she had mashed the potatoes by hand but at least i tried.
Cheryl and I talked about all of the things from the meeting today. We had a lot to talk about.

We had a nice dinner with the children. They had their baths, devo and now they are in bed.
I just got a call from a young friend asking about premarital counseling. We are going to meet tomorrow at 10:00AM.
That is the second request like that today.

5 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

Hey Jeff! Thanks againa and again for giving an insight to your life. I have been looking at pictures from my two trips there and I long for the "filling" of God's spirit from my brothers and sisters there.
Cheryl are absolutey a great cook and Lord willing I will have lost enough weight to justify some Biscuits and Gravey the next time I visit.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Jason Hill said...

Sounds like a pretty good day. I'm excited to hear more about the family that lives near the new land. Say hi to your family, we talked a lot about all of you at Faith Quest and you are in our prayers.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Matt Tibbles said...

I am always amazed at what God does through your faith. Hopefully I will get to experience what God is doing in Uganda for Faith Quest Uganda.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger KMiV said...

We will be praying for you all tomorrow so we will do it with a smile. The story is well told and I feel like I am there. We miss you both.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Aimee Jo said...

We'll be there soon!! We are excited for the opportunity to serve orphans and others who need Jesus. Can't wait til we can experience all of this with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home