Thursday, October 26, 2006

Bathing in the rain

Our water has been off. That's not so fun especially since we have visitors. (But we can make the most of the situation.)
I got out the rubbermaid trunks and put them all around the house under the rain downspouts from the gutters.
We waited and then it rained and filled all the trunks.
I put on my swim suit and bathed like I do all the time in the village. Kinley wanted to learn to bath from a bucket so I showed her how to get clean with just a little water.
It was funny.

Billy and Brenda have been here for nearly four weeks. I've been pretty busy most of the time.
We went to Rwebesengo and camped out next to the church building. The church sang and danced around the fire until 3AM.
We went to the churches in Kyenjojo and held a meeting. We took them on Safari to Mweya where we saw lions, elephants, hippos etc...
We went on the boat to Camp Saaka.
The old pickup has broken down several times. Once on the way back from the game park!
I sent Cheryl home with the kids and all the stuff in the Landcruiser. Billy and I stayed with the pickup stranded on the dirt road. We cut green bushes and put them in the road with large rocks. (Local road flares.)
We took the truck apart and removed the radiator. I called Ronald and he got a mechanic and before coming from Fort Portal, they went and found a guy with the same kind of truck as ours. He was willing to rent us his radiator for $10! They took his radiator out and brought it to me. It wasn't the right size. Hakuna Matata! We tied the radiator in with ropes because the bolts didn't match up.
I didn't think about renting a radiator!
With the hood tied down and the radiator tied on we drove slowly in the dark for over and hour. We made it home safely.

Only in Africa!!!

4 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Jason Hill said...

rubermaid rainwater baths = awesome.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

I just love your stories, Jeff!

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

The story about the radiator reminds me of the time when we (your granddad Cash's family)were on vacation in the remote Cascade Mountains using a borrowed pickup. The truck stopped, and we discovered that the gas tank had fallen off. We found it about a hundred feet back sitting upright with the gas still in it. With wire to hold it in place, and lots of chewing gum to seal the line we make it 80 miles back to a repair shop.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger KMiV said...

Well, I guess I shouldn't have griped today about the way things went. Your story reminds me how fortunate I am to not have to worry about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home