Monday, June 25, 2007

Words from a monk

In 1399 Thomas a Kempis became a simple monk. While living in the monastary he edited a work called "The Imitation of Christ", that many believe was written by Gerhard Groote.
Here is an excerpt.
Finally, I want to teach you the way of peace and true liberty. There are four things you must do. First, strive to do another's will rather than your own. Second, choose always to have less than more. Third, seek the lower place in life, dying to the need to be recognized and important. Fourth, always and in everything desire that the will of God may be completely fulfilled in you. The person who tries this will be treading the frontiers of peace and rest. (by Thomas a Kempis, Dealing with Temptation,Devotional Classics)

I have been challenged. What do you think?

3 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Those are challenges that inspire action and change, as well as a little guilt, I'm afraid!

I think they can be summed up even further in Jesus' words to love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind, & strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself.

You are reading some great stuff these days! Keep sharing-

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

So glad you are blogging again, Jeff. You have good things to say--things that encourage and challenge. I LOVE the pictures, especially of sweet Kinley. She gets more beautiful all the time.

We love you all and are so proud of the work God is doing in and through you.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Yes, that's right, you're reading some challenging material these days, my friend. I've been taught lately that I may be able to accomplish more by doing less; that allowing God to work more and through me will be better than all my many self-driven efforts. I am convicted with the saying, "If you're over-extended, you're under-committed!" So, I'm trying to "unload my cart" a little these days. Thanks for the Thomas a'Kempis quote, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home