Sunday, September 23, 2007

Drummer Boys

Drums
I love drums
Since I was young I have always enjoyed the driving pulse of a well played rhythm. Whether it was chopsticks, pencils or the car steering wheel the world was my drum set.
What some teachers may have thought was a nervous twitch paid off. I went to a church of Christ university with a full ride scholarship to play drums.
I was told that I was to play drums and recruit girls to come to the University. Maybe I should be paying them! I got to play drums in a country band, travel all over the US and meet wonderful people. Not bad!
It was frustrating as I was instructed that I could not mention Jesus while I was holding my drumsticks! Many times we would lead devotionals for Christian youth. That always seemed strange... we could sing all these country songs about cheating and whatever but I couldn't mention Jesus while holding my drumsticks!
One woman that I'll call the "church lady" even told me that I play the instrument of Satan.

I was in several groups and seriously considered a career playing contemporary Christian music but the Lord has other plans for me. He sent me to Africa!!!
Now I have three boys who love to play drums.
Here we are trying to knock the paint off the walls.
DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

7 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

You forgot to mention one other place you (too) frequently drummed - THE BACK OF YOUR SISTER'S HEAD. It's true - you were always, always drumming. Don't tell anyone, but I secretly like that about you.

Glad to see your gifts showing up in the next generation.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger KMiV said...

Great pictures and story. I never could understand how we allowed people to play music that doesn't glorify God, but got nervous when musicians used their giftedness to praise Jesus. Seems a little backward doesn't it?

Maybe our inconsistencies are why we have stopped growing in the US?

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Allan W. said...

"Instrument of Satan..." LOL! I don't think he plays.

I'm no drummer, but the kids and I have had a few fun kitchen jams lately - hitting bowls, buckets, and utensils for rhythm. Wish I could hear the boys playing!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Steve Maxwell said...

I can only play my mouth and occasionally I drum with it. Keep drummin' gentlemen!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Jim Coffey said...

Q - What do you call the guy that hangs out with the musicians?

A - the drummer !

--- just a little band humor to lighten your day ---

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live in Texas and probably have room for a 40 ft. container. It would just be out in the pasture. How long are you needing to store it?

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very cute babies! :') they have a future to become a drummer boys for the glory of God! :)

Evangelical Church in Mississauga

 

Post a Comment

<< Home