Monday, September 24, 2007

A wonderful donation

We have been wanting to get a hangar here in Uganda for CROSSWIND wings of mercy. We own a Cessna 206 and have been patiently waiting for the ministry to "take off". We had engine trouble in Djibouti when we were flying the plane to Uganda.
A Christian friend and mechanic met me in Djibouti and we took the plane apart. The plane was shipped to Uganda and the engine was shipped to the states. (At least that was what we thought.)
We were told that the engine had been lost. In the process we discovered that the shipping company had cheated us. The engine core was in bad condition. Another engine core was purchased and MMS completely rebuilt the new engine.
To save us some money on shipping I decided to wait to ship the engine until Andrew and Aimee jo sent their container. We shared a 40foot seacontainer. All of the Martin's belonging were packed into the container at Charles Colwell's house.
We were able to buy a zero turn mower, finishing mower and a Honda mower for the work here. We have a tractor and maintain and manage the Fort Portal airstrip. We also shipped the church tent, 400 metal chairs, fire hoses and some gear as well as other supplies for the ministry.
(We sure could use the plane right now with all of the flooding that has been going on around the country. The only way to safely reach some of the towns in the north is by plane.)
One of my regrets when packing the container was that we did not go ahead and buy an airplane hangar. There was concern over the space in the container.

Well the Lord is faithful. I saw a hangar for sale on ebay. The owner mentioned that if it doesn't sell he would consider giving it to a nonprofit in Mexico. I wrote him and told him about the work we are doing here.
After a dozen emails and a phone call he donated the hangar to us!!!!!!
He is a Christian and said that one of his dreams was to be a missionary pilot.
Wow

hangar 3


This hangar is so much better than what we had been looking at! it 65 feet wide by 32 feet. Two plane can fit inside with the doors closed!
Praise the Lord!!!!
We are so excited about this generous and wonderful gift.
Here are some ways we could use help...
1. We are working to find a team of Christian volunteers who can go to Palm Springs California and take the hangar apart.
If you are in southern california or you would be interested in helping with this project please let me know.

2.We are arranging shipping at this time. If you have 40 foot truck or trailer and would like to help save the ministry some shipping expenses let me know.
We need to ship the hangar to Texas. It will be shipped to Africa in a 40ft container.

3. We are also looking for a place to store the 40ft container in Texas until our furlough next year. If you have a place in Texas and would be willing for us to keep a container there, let us know.

4. If you would like to donate towards the shipping of the hanger. Let us know.

5. We could even use some help putting the hangar together here in uganda. It could be a simple mission trip.

6. We are going to bringing a team from MMS to repair and put the plane together. We have to pay for at least one plane ticket plus food and lodging.

7. I am also interested in further flight training so I can become a safer pilot. In the US I could work on my instrument ticket for about $4000
Comerical license is about $4000
Certifided flight instructor would be about the same price depending on the flight school used and the amount of flight time needed for proficiency. It is my desire to further my flight training.

8. In the future we would like to own a small training plane and encourage other pilots who have an interest in mission aviation. Our new hangar can hold two planes!

9. The plane needs a gps upgrade

Thank the Lord with us for this wonderful gift!

hangar 4

18 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Matt Tibbles said...

Jeff,

What a great God we have to serve. I love to hear what God is doing through you and Cheryl and the Christians in Fort Portal. It is awesome to see God working in wondrous ways through you all.

I am looking forward to FQ Uganda!

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Julie Cole said...

Hello Jeff and family,

I just came across your blog and thought I would send greetings from back home. I recently received a phone call from Olan W., who is planning some type of 20th reunion for Columbia's Class of 87 (around Christmastime.) We both decided that we were out of touch, with reality mostly :).

It was good to read about your family and your ministry in E. Africa. The Colefam will check in on occasionally and will be praying for you all.

Blessings,
Julie (Thompson) Cole

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Hey, Jeff! You can run, but you can't hide! Seriously, I have been wondering what is going on with you, since I am no longer getting emails, and my emails to you have been returned. I emailed your dad and he sent me contact info. I will add the email address he gave me to my "book", and I would love to hear from you. Is this the best way to do it for you?

Tom Bonner

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jim Coffey said...

Jeff, I found something you may be interested in. If you think it would be useful let me know and I'll buy it for you and Cheryl for Christmas. Here's the blurb

Home Power is the magazine that shows you how to live without the electricity grid, what works and what doesn't. For those who aren't afraid to pick up a wrench and get dirty, good stuff.

check out Homepower.com or their paper magazine. You can get all their issues on DVD for $95 -- 20 years, 120 issues, 2716 articles. HP 's last issue is 128 pages and is offered as a free pdf http://www.homepower.com/magazine/download_sample_issue.cfm
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/002055.php

Also Newlite Portable, Solar LED Lights Read at night (compliments of the Sun)http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001684.php

If you're interested send me an email jimcoffey62@yahoo.com with your mailing address. Or I could just have it shipped to either Lynn or to Glennwood and they can put it in the normal care package.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Jesus' Gal said...

It is such a blessing to come across your blog, your missionary work in Africa.

Praise the Lord!!! It is always a miracle and a touching moment to see new believers in Baptism! No matter where that happen. It is such a joyous scene!

Thanks for the picture in the river to do Baptism.

May God work and bless the people you serve!
Amen!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

My name is Stephen Rollins and I am the preacher and an elder at the Leesburg church of Christ in Leesburg, VA. Our men's fellowship group is praying for African countries as a application of 1 Timothy 2:1-8. Could you give me some specific things to pray for regarding the nation of Uganda and the mission work you are doing?

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

Brother,
My name is Stephen Rollins and I am the preacher and one of the elders at the Leesburg church of Christ in Leesburg, VA. Our men's fellowship group chose to pray for an African country as an application of 1 Timothy 2:1-8. I was given Uganda. Can you email me some specific prayer requests for the nation and the work God is using you to do? My email address is yblost4@verizon.net

In Christ,

Stephen Rollins

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Hey Brother,

I've been praying for you and Andrew's ministry to Fort Portal, I'm excited about what God is doing there. I actually would love to hear more about this specific need, taking apart the hangar etc.... I may be able to coordinate a church to do a mission trip or something on your behalf. Obviously I should be coordinating with someone, at your supporting church, have them e-mail me ryanleepeters@gmail.com or call 503-867-6427 God Bless brother

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Matt and Crystal Kehn said...

Hey Jeff,

You guys have been silent for a while. What's up? How is Fort Portal and ministry there? Are you still around? God bless,

Fellow Missionary in Mbarara UG,

Matt Kehn
www.kehnsjam.com

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I’m writing this to inform you about a project I am working on something that will help missionaries like you raise awareness and support. I am in the planning stages of launching a missionary news website (possible name is God’s World News) and I would like you to be part of it.

I’m a professional Internet marketer, SEO expert and web designer. I have been thinking for some time that there must be a way I can use my skills to further God’s kingdom. After doing some analysis, I discovered that although there are many missionary blogs and websites, there are not many that have been optimized correctly to get a lot of readership traffic. You are probably aware of this, but a couple of the most important ways to get a lot of traffic is by having a high Google (Google, because it gets the most search traffic) PageRank and by having new content – A LOT of new content.

That is were you come in, with the content. Before I launch the news website, I would like to get 150 (eventually, I hope to have even more than this number, but this would be a good start) missionaries around the world to agree to be “news journalists.” If you are interested, I would like you to be one of the 150.

If you choose to participate, I would need you to agree to provide at least 12 articles in a year’s time. The topic choice would pretty much be up to you. You could write about events in the country, challenges you are facing, tips for new missionaries, how God provided for your needs, and more. You can also submit videos and photos. I just ask that everything submitted is high quality and original. It’s fine if it’s been published in print before, but if the content is already on the internet, the news websites PageRank will be reduced. The reason I say a year is because that is the time period through which I will evaluate how well the idea is accepted and whether I should continue the project. Call it beta testing if you want But that is about the necessary time needed to make the website a success.

If successful, there would be thousands of hits a day on the website. You would benefit by having many thousands of people around the world read about how God is using you. Hopefully, some of these people would support you with prayers and/or finances.

If you are interested, please contact me by sending an e-mail to joe@josephkolb.info. Please let me know your name, the country you are working in, your missions name, your website, how many articles you would like to submit during this testing phase (12 or over), your contact information, your website, and any questions you have. Please provide as much of that information as possible as it will be hard to keep track of everyone if I have so many participants. Sometime after I get your e-mail I will contact you with more detailed article criteria.

I think that’s about it for now. Oh, yeah one more thing, I would like participants to add a link from their website (if they have one) or blog to the news website. In-links is another way that Google uses to establish PageRank.

Thanks in advance!

God Bless You!!

Joe<><

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Wow! Kinley was just a little girl the last time we saw her. Jeff, this is Sue Conwell, Vann's wife. We were at the Northlake Church of Christ in Atlanta but are now at the Southern Hills church in Abilene.

I'm so happy for you all and Kinley.

Blessings to you, Cheryl and your family.

Sue Conwell

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you already tear down the hanger? I could help and I could bring friends.

I was reading your blog looking for opportunities to be involved directly with missionaries.

coburntravis@hotmail.com
Sunset Beach, CA

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger foutyboy said...

Jeff,
Just came across your blogs and I tell your brother, they really touch me. I just want to encourage you and your family in your work for the Lord. That one about your daughter being baptised was cool.PRAISE GOD!!!!
Lord I pray a hedge of protection around your children in Fort Portal. You know where they are at. You know their hearts and Y ou know what they need. Jehovah Jireh, You provide our every need, big or small and I've already seen with Jeff and this ministry, what You have done with the hanger. Thank you God!!! Amen
Hey Jeff listen, I and a few others in my church have felt called to do some work in Africa. If it's no trouble, could you please e-mail me some info on what you guys are doing and possibly how we could help at foutyboy@yahoo.com. Thanx Bro.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Mountainbuilders said...

Ok, I'm sure this doesn't belong in your comments section, but my wife and I have been following your family for a little while now and we would like to know if you need support? We are looking for a missionary to give to and would like that to be your family. If so, could you let us know where to send it to? Thanks! God Bless!

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Natalie White said...

Dude Jeff!!!!
I saw your blog 2 years too late!!!!! I live in Las Vegas(came there originally to work with a church with Southern Baptist through Texas A&M). I happen to be at my parents big ranch today in TX searching internet for missionary blogs. DUDE-did you finlly get it there???
His Grip, Natalie Lane WHite
Email me at gettingoutofdebtlv@gmail.com

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Phillip Spaulding said...

Hello!

I found your blog on the missionary-blogs website and am encouraged by what you are doing in Fort Portal. I am a sophomore attending Oklahoma State University while majoring in Public Relations. My hope is to gain communication skills necessary to bring the word of God to all nations. The ministry you and your family have is incredible and I would love to know more. Do you have a discipleship or training program that I could be a part of?

Phillip Spaulding
phillip.spaulding@okstate.edu

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jeff,

how can I get in touch with you?

e-mail me at officepdx@gmail.com

Thanks,

Cristian

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Love & Roadtrips said...

Hi Jeff, I don't know you, and somehow I just stumbled across your blog, but I couldn't help the tears that began to weld up in my eyes as I saw your pictures and read through your blog. This last summer I spent my time in Kabale, Uganda, and your pictures reminded me of my time there so much. It's such an encouragement to see what you're doing and the impact you're making in the world. My dream is to be a missionary and I know someday I'll make it back to Africa. May God bless your family and your ministry.

Vicki Nyberg :]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home